[crossfire] new metaserver

Mitch Obrian mikeeusaaa at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 2 23:39:31 CDT 2005

I can also host a slave metaserver.

--- Brendan Lally <

     B.T.Lally at warwick.ac.uk

      mwedel at sonic.net

       06/02/05 08:23 AM >>>

      > 1) Has someone agreed to run the metametaserver?

      What about the slave

      > metaservers?

      I can host one, maybe two, but this assumes the use

      of HTTP.

      > 4) Has anyone considered the approach where all

      the servers talk to the

      > metametaserver (lets call it the master

      metaserver), and all the metaservers

      > just regularly pull updates from the master

      metaserver?

      That is pretty much what I have been doing, except

      with all metaservers being 'passive' and without the

      metametaserver being protected.

      >  Just some thoughts.  I'd probably still be good

      to rewrite the metaserver

      >logic, but IMO, having the servers talk to web

      servers is an extra complication

      >- pretty much all metaservers that are out there

      (certainly netrek at a minimum)

      > use their own protocol for the servers to update

      the metaserver.

      I know that freeciv uses HTTP POSTs to send data to

      its metaserver.

      As it is HTTP is simpler, there are libraries

      (libcurl) that make it easier than dealing with

      sockets directly, and when there is a web server

      sitting in the middle then issues like threading,

      locking and blocking are dealt with automagically.

      Web servers often can behefit from things like

      caching also, and it may be possible to get

      compression for free too (I haven't looked into

      mod_gzip in detail yet).

      It is also far easier to find places to host.

      crossfire at metalforge.org