[crossfire] Proposal to fix experience inflation due to random maps

ERACC eracclists at bellsouth.net
Fri Jun 3 14:33:53 CDT 2005

On Tuesday 31 May 2005 09:32 pm
Todd Mitchell wrote:

      monster density - I think part of the problem with the monster density

      is that terrain is either blocked or not. [...]

I am looking at the Valriel random map settings (within the map
/scorn/temples/valriel3) in anticipation of reducing the number of
levels, reducing monster density, adding some "new", tougher monsters
called "saints" using existing NPC arches and making the random maps
larger. One question I have but haven't been able to resolve: is
random map monster density determined by /styles/monsterstyles/* or
is it elsewhere? I asked this on IRC this morning (here) but
apparently everyone is dead there today. :-)

      Boss monsters - good idea

This would mean making a final map (like the one for Titan Quest) and
adding these boss monsters. Maybe for the Valriel one have one fight
the Avatar of Valriel (a customized Arch Angel perhaps). Should these
bosses drop or guard some sort of special treasure or is the
experience gained reward enough?

      One point - the random map styles are very ripe for development and

      adjustment.  This alone would really improve the random maps and allow

      more control - especially with the difficulty stepping code that was

      recently added.

Well, I am looking in the map /styles directory for information on
how to work on these. Is there somewhere else I should be looking as
well? If it is a code problem then I'm not the one that can fix that.
If it is all handled with map settings then I just need to know what
to tweak. How does one use the "difficulty stepping code" in defining
random maps or is that automagical?

Gene
--
Linux era4.eracc.UUCP 2.6.8.1-12mdk i686
 14:14:26 up 16 days, 14:51,  8 users,  load average: 0.05, 0.53, 0.62

     http://www.eracc.com/

eCS, OS/2, Mandriva Linux, OpenServer & UnixWare resellers