[crossfire] new metaserver

Brendan Lally B.T.Lally at warwick.ac.uk
Thu Jun 9 20:59:43 CDT 2005

      mwedel at sonic.net

       06/09/05 06:08 AM >>>

       seems to me that making the CMS ip secret is just security through obscurity.

       Once someone discovers that IP through whatever method, you lose that benefit

      - this means the CMS has to be secure on its own.

Yeah, what I have had in mind all along is that the metametaserver/CMS wouldn't just be a secret, but that it would be firewalled off from /all/ incoming requests except from the SMS's

Knowing the IP adress wouldn't do an attacker any good unless they had a SMS being the attacker, and it is pretty hard to launch an attack when there are only a score of ip adresses to attack from and get replies.

That isn't security through obscurity, it is security through dropping packets...