[crossfire] new metaserver

Alberto Saez Lodeiros cerzeo at gmail.com
Fri May 27 11:37:52 CDT 2005

El Viernes 27 Mayo 2005 17:48, Brendan Lally escribió:

      It looks like you mean that you have all ports other than 80, 21, and

      6-whatever it is, blocked outbound. If this is the case, we would expect

      that you have all inbound ports blocked (otherwise such a measure isn't

      sensible.

Yes, we have all but 80, 21 and 6 ports blocked, but not only for inbound, too
for outbound.

      Such configurations are normally only found in highly locked down

      environments.

I'm in a student's residence, which is connectted directly to the University
Net (with a Debian server)

      The new metaservers will use HTTP, this means that a webserver is needed to

      be one. If you can run a webserver, you can run one, if you can access

      other web servers then you can use them (but crossfire doesn't use HTTP for

      server-client communications, so you won't be able to connect to a remote

      server.

Do you mean something like an Apache server, using, by default, 8080 port?
I have my Apache server, but I don't know if other external people can access
my computer using Apache, who is using 8080 port.

      You seem to be in a fairly large internal subnet though, so you should be

      able to run a server accessible in there quite easily. If you were to run a

      metaserver internally, you would be able to script the fetching of the

      server lists each day (or more frequently) and mirror them, propagating

      your own custom metaserver list.

I play crossfire using a direct LAN connection between me and my residence's
friends, internally.

What do you mean with propagate my own custom metaserver list?

      This isn't useful though, since you wouldn't be able to connect to the

      remote servers....

The "comunication" port between crossfire server and client can't be changed
anyway? I have tried to use port 21, 80 and console returns me an error in
the client side:

Can't connect to server: Network is unreachable

Is it because of the client configuration, the server configuration or the
systen/net configuration? I have changed the server port in the server
settings file. (I tried ports 21 and 80).

Thanks for your help.    :)
- Hay 10 tipos de personas: Las que NO entienden código
biario y las que SI.