[crossfire] new metaserver

Brendan Lally B.T.Lally at warwick.ac.uk
Fri May 27 13:08:51 CDT 2005

      mwedel at sonic.net

       05/27/05 17:00 PM >>>

     tchize wrote:

      - Somebody could register a server, faking another server, to gather

      passwords.

       Yes - that could be improved by having the metaserver verify the hostname

      provided against IP.  The problem here is that DNS lookups can be a slow

      operation, so can't be done in the very simple script used now.  And if a

      threaded/forked call is done, you then have to sort out data consistency and

      file locking.

Yeah, that is why I used php to get round that, flock and apache deal with all of that.

      - If the server crash and re-register to metaserver, old entry is not deleted,

      resulting in pollution of list when a server is unstable.

      Overall client process:

      - get the metaserverlist from sf if possible and check signature. If anything

      fails, fallback to cached list. If cached list fail, fall back to static list

       Just a thought - has anyone looked at what other games do (nettrek I think

      would be one example) - presumably, some games have already put a lot of thought

      into this - it could be simpler to just grab there server and client code and go

      from there.

Freeciv constructs HTTP POSTs and sends them to a single metaserver, I haven't been able to find the metaserver code as yet, but the server code is quite nice...

POST is probably nicer than GET from a technical point of view too....