[crossfire] new metaserver

tchize tchize at myrealbox.com
Sat May 28 03:15:28 CDT 2005

Le Vendredi 27 Mai 2005 17:58, Mark Wedel a écrit :

     tchize wrote:

      Overall client process:

      - get the metaserverlist from sf if possible and check signature. If

      anything fails, fallback to cached list. If cached list fail, fall back to

      static list

       Note that this would seem to put a single point of failure on SF being up.

       It often is, but doesn't always seem to be the case.

well if sf is down, the client use the cached mirror list. I don't think it's
a problem for sf being down for even a few weeks, mirror list are mostly
static (from time to time a mirror may be leaving the mirror list at admin
request or a new one could appear, but am sure all mirrors will not disappear
in just a few weeks)

       However, looking at the proposal, I have a few questions/thoughts.

       Since it seems that server admins will need to notify the metaserver admin

      to be listed, and it seems that some amount of the dynamic data currently

      listed won't be as up to date (due to timing, or perhaps not being

      included), it seems that this isn't that far away from just having a static

      HTML page that someone updates that is then replicated.  Which of course

      isn't really what the metaserver is about.

I suggest to have metaserver only list the public servers. If clients want
stats like number of player, server version and so on, we could have client
connect to the server and request this from server instead of having
metaserver tracking such information. This is how it is done on commercial
quake-like games like (greb a list of ips from metaserver, and request
informations from each ip).

This is all indeed about having a static file mirrored.

       Just a thought - has anyone looked at what other games do (nettrek I think

     would be one example) - presumably, some games have already put a lot of

      thought into this - it could be simpler to just grab there server and

      client code and go from there.

Indeed if something suitable exist on another GPL game, this could be usefull
to reuse code

      crossfire at metalforge.org