[crossfire] multipart images + Other stuff (btw thanks for the mlab -> CVS work :D)

Mitch Obrian mikeeusaaa at yahoo.com
Sat May 28 15:50:40 CDT 2005

I will make all new big images I make use the x
convention.

Also thankyou very much for the mlab->cvs work :D.
Thank you for fixing the shop bugs (I forgot to put
the no_magic floors in).

Thirdly, I was thinking about making a red-brick cwall
set as some of my _fant arches use red brick. What
should I call these arches for naming convention? Is
there away to batch convert them with image magik or
is the gimp needed (as I've done before)?

--- Todd Mitchell <

     temitchell at sympatico.ca

     > wrote:

      On Fri, 2005-27-05 at 23:01 -0700, Mitch Obrian

      wrote:

      > I think this should be a non issue. Nothing is

      > broken... changing the image names and the arches

      is

      > usless busy work.... just a waste.

      I don't consider it 'busy work'.

      This is a new case and not a historical conversion

      of the crossfire

      images. Aside from the few images just committed all

      the arches do

      follow this standard since I have been slowly

      merging the multipart

      images.  The reason I am merging the images is to

      make them easier to

      edit and improve - not just to bounce my name across

      the internet.

      The image naming convention is there for a reason -

      to make managing and

      updating the arches easier.  The name convention is

      "name.xyz.type.png"

      where x is the tile offset for a multipart image, y

      is the facing

      (clockwise) and z is the animation frame.  Images

      larger than 1 tile are

      new and aside from the recent buildings added all

      have x as the first

      digit because this indicates a large image.  Since I

      have been merging

      all the images they all were getting an x - It made

      it easy to fix the

      arch for the new image and as a bonus - to find a

      large image

      programatically.  I thought I should try to

      formalize this.  It may be

      useful to know which images are multi-tile at some

      point and it does

      make it easier to explain how to make an arch if

      this is always the

      case.

      Without a naming convention it becomes very hard to

      learn how to make

      arches and very hard to debug arches so I don't

      consider it busy work

      (making yet another colour of marble flooring

      however seems a bit

      superfluous to me).

      It took me a while to learn the ropes and I believe

      others had the same

      problem since I have also been doing a lot of fixes

      and clean up of the

      arches over the last few years because the name

      convention wasn't

      followed.

      Along the same vein - if crossfire ever had the

      ability to store

      animations as binary objects instead of a series of

      png (hypothetical -

      not a request) I would expect these images to use a

      'z' as the third

      digit in the name convention to denote this.

      Contriwise - images with a single facing would have

      a y as the second

      position - I think this may take it too far however.

       Perhaps if

      crossfire ever used 3d models this would be the

      case.

      crossfire at metalforge.org