[crossfire] Proposal to fix experience inflation due to random maps

Alex Schultz alex_sch at telus.net
Sun May 29 15:10:13 CDT 2005

Andreas Kirschbaum wrote:

     That is, you suggest (for heaven) 75 levels with 75% of the monsters in it?

     That would still result in more than 200 million exp you can gain there.

     Compare that to the non-random warrior proofing tower that only gives you 70

     million exp. And I'd say the warrior tower is much harder to solve (which is

     why I suggest you should get much more exp from the warrior tower than from any

     random map).

     Point taken, however one should note that heaven takes much more time
than the warrior tower to complete fully and decreased monster density
would further cause the exp/time ratio to go down further.

     It seems to me that nobody else than me thinks that the random maps give (far)

     too much experience. Nobody even bothered to comment on the experience tables

     in my initial mail. The responses merely said something like "please don't

     reduce the experience" without disproving my arguments. Therefore I'll try to

     illustrate my point of view a little more:

     I certainly agree that random maps need to be toned down (the few
dungeons that use 5 or less random levels are fine as they are though).
It's just that I think that there's another problem. I find that the
maps made for those lvl 85 to 100 seem to give no more exp than those
made for a lvl 50, which tends to drive people to go to the TCs and/or
other random maps once they get to about level 50. I feel that this
problem could be partially fixed by toning the random maps down
significantly, however I feel that maps made for lvl 85-100 need to have
a reasonable amount more exp than maps that a lvl 50 can complete.
Though one may say that traps and puzzles are much more fun at those
levels, which is quite true, a solution to that would be making the
"bosses" (i.e. evil masters) and possibly some puzzles themselves give
notably more exp.

     To demonstrate my point how easy it is to become a high level character by

     using the currently existing random maps, I created two new characters on my

     local server. I used different races and used skills to level them. With both

     characters I reached about level 90 in less than one hour playtime.

     Really? This is certainly a problem then, though I can't see how one
would achieve that without using banish rods or disabling item power.
This sounds like there were exploits used other than the random maps
alone (banish rod type ones)

     Said that, my point in draining the experience from the random maps was

     a) to prevent players to gain huge amounts of exp (and high-levels) simply by

        doing random maps over and over.

     Which leads to another interesting point about repetition of maps,

     b) to encourage players to clear non-random maps simply by making the exp

        reward for (comparably simple random) maps not rewarding.

     I think that something along these lines needs to be done, however I
feel that the exp also needs to be tuned up on non-random maps that have
some traps/puzzles and a small number of "bosses" to make those maps
more attractive.

     PS: one last note about the training center: on metalforge I've seen quite a

         few players that got killed somewhere, then switched to the TC because it

         is safe and effortless to level there. (It's their own choice to do so, but

         I don't think the training center (or any other random map) should make it

         possible to level faster than by clearing "regular" (non-random) maps.)

     Yes, this often happens with quests like the pupland ones, where it has
very nice puzzles and such, but it's hard not to die so much that you
lose more exp than you gain there, and though exp shouldn't be too easy
to get, players don't find non-random maps attractive if all the ones
that are interesting (as in, haven't beaten 10 times before) have areas
that they will almost constantly lose more exp than they gain.

To summarize my points, I feel this is almost as much of a problem with
the non-random maps as it is a problem of the random maps.

Alex Schultz