[crossfire] Proposal to fix experience inflation due to random maps

Lalo Martins lalo at laranja.org
Sun May 29 17:40:17 CDT 2005

<quote who="Andreas Kirschbaum">

      It seems to me that nobody else than me thinks that the random maps give

      (far) too much experience. Nobody even bothered to comment on the

      experience tables in my initial mail. The responses merely said

      something like "please don't reduce the experience" without

      disproving my arguments.

Nope, I think most people agree, so much so that this thread has grown a
lot :-)  What we said was not "please don't reduce the experience", but
"please don't touch the server code" because that introduces unnecessary
weirdness and inconsistency.  Fix the (random) maps, not the server.

One possible quickfix is to change the random map *LOADER*; so that if you
don't specify how much XP the monsters should give (in the monsterstyle),
then the default is 20% of the normal exp listed on the arch.  This would,
it seems, fix most random maps, and a quick "grep" job will show you what
others need manual intervention:

lalo:~SRC/crossfire/maps-arch> grep exp styles/monsterstyles/ -r
--files-with-matches
styles/monsterstyles/chaos/chaos_1
styles/monsterstyles/chaos/chaos_2
styles/monsterstyles/undead_quest/undead_quest_21
styles/monsterstyles/nethack/nethack_10
styles/monsterstyles/nethack/nethack_11
styles/monsterstyles/nethack/nethack_12
styles/monsterstyles/nethack/nethack_13