[crossfire] Proposal to fix experience inflation due to random maps

Vernon T Rhyne trhyne at MIT.EDU
Tue May 31 08:07:33 CDT 2005

Quoting Andrew Fuchs <

     fuchs.andy at gmail.com

     >:

      On 5/30/05, Anton Oussik <

      antonoussik at gmail.com

      > wrote:

      > Not sure if any of those are appropriate for CF though.

      Well, there is the issue with the number of players...

      Andrew Fuchs

      crossfire at metalforge.org

I don't often comment here, but I've followed this thread a good bit and wanted
to put my cents in.

At heart the issue is (in this and many other multiplayer level-based games)
that experience generation is monotonous and non-stimulating.  The random-based
maps are a workaround (as they were in Anarchy Online).  They allow you to
tackle the monotony in a convenient setting.  Without them, experience
generation would be not only monotonous, but also more predatory.  The "best"
maps would be camped out even more.

Yes, with the near-infinite resources and items an experienced player has,
generating a second character at the same level is trivial.  Rare loot is a
much more meaningful scoring device in Crossfire than experience is.  This loot
combined with the knowledge generated from the first go-around SHOULD make the
second (or Nth) time simplistic.  This isn't a bad thing.  It certainly
shouldn't be taken as proof that a new player can achieve level 100+ in a
trivial period if unaided.

Since this issue has migrated a number of directions, let me throw out a few:
<disclaimer: if these have already been mentioned, I apologize>
1) Significant experience generated for quest completion.  (slay the quest, get
a cookie...)
2) Less of a death penalty.  The treadmill has a frightful slope, especially
when combined with the "angel with a rod of banishment" and other such random
mishaps.  While it might be nice to quest-map to a level the first time, the
Nth time you just want to get there as safely as possible.
3) A conversion for money into powerups or lessening death penalties.  Directly
into exp is a bad idea, but temporary bonuses could be effective.  I also
believe there to be silly amounts of money lying around in a Crossfire world,
with no real current value.