[crossfire] Re: weather, lattitude, town location, and the world

Todd Mitchell temitchell at sympatico.ca
Fri Nov 11 09:14:16 CST 2005

One long held belief I have had concerning the weather code is that we
shouldn't be trying to model two entire hemispheres.  We should place
the existing bigworld map in either the 'northern' or 'southern'
hemisphere of the planet where the pole is at one edge and the equator
(or even a tropic) at another.  This still gives an entire range of
climate but doubles the size of the zones which would help I believe.
It also means one day long in the future we could add another
continent.  For now, we could add some virtual terrain for the other
hemisphere or do something like mirror the existing data to avoid a huge
'flat data' spot in the missing hemisphere.

-tm

Lalo Martins wrote:

     And so says Anton Oussik on 11/11/05 19:15...

     This model as I understand it would need some modification to the

     weather code, to get rid of the extremes we seem to be suffering at

     the poles and the equator region.

     ultimately, what we can do is discuss and raise pros and cons; the final

     decision (in the crossfire model) is up to whoever is actually working

     on the weather code.

     That said, I'm not discarding options that requires changes to the

     weather code, because it's generally agreed that the weather system as

     it currently stands is *broken* - fun, but broken :-) so the whole point

     is that changes are being made anyway, therefore, it's probably the best

     time to think about this stuff.

     best,

                                                    Lalo Martins