[crossfire] Idea for skills

Yann Chachkoff yann.chachkoff at myrealbox.com
Sun Nov 27 02:35:04 CST 2005

I don't really like that idea.

Sure, the intend - force people to explore the world furthermore - is good.
But I see little justification of forcing them to make a given quest to
increase their level. Arbitrarily capping the levels looks very artificial to
me.

On the other hand, I think that a similar principle (make some quests a "must
do" to go further) could be used to unlock other quests and areas. Such a
system would be easy to justify scenaristically-wise and would achieve the
same result without artificially bending the skills/levels system, or
requiring changes to the code.

It would mean that a geographical redistribution of the quests would have to
be done at some point, and/or that "locks" would have to be put to prevent
access to higher-level quests.

But all this sounds like map-making job, which I see as a better (or
cleaner ?) way to go than creating another special-case to rules in the code.
I tend to think that the whole problem of people not exploring the world all
comes down to the quests structure and locations: people don't explore
because they have no reasons to do it, and because travelling without
encountering anything is just plain boring. I'm far from being convinced that
we'd solve that problem with another piece of code - I think that improving
*maps* would lead to more satisfying solutions.

So, my opinion:
- No to artificial capping of levels;
- Yes to "capping" of quests and areas access, unlocking them by finishing
some "key quests".