[crossfire] Re: [Crossfire-devel] Made a CVS upload error: /maps-bigworld/unlinked/mlab-devel/mlab-devel.tar.gz

Mitch Obrian mikeeusaaa at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 1 14:09:01 CDT 2005

Let us free our memory of merging the rest of mlab, it
just seems to become a huge discussion for whatever
reasons.

So have any quest ideas for azamuindo? I need someone
who has a good grasp on japanese lore to give me some
ideas.

--- Mitch Obrian <

     mikeeusaaa at yahoo.com

     > wrote:

      If you don't want mlab then fine. I am _not_ going

      change for you, just as you are _not_ going to

      change

      for me.

      --- Mark Wedel <

      mwedel at sonic.net

      > wrote:

      > Mitch Obrian wrote:

      > > For all other maps sans mlab I follow the map

      > guide.

      > > However mlab was started way before these, thus

      it

      > > uses the flatdirectory structure so it stays

      > working.

      > > I've seen maps break many times before,

      including

      > my

      > > tavern when it was uploaded to cvs originally.

      >   The issue is that there seems to be no work on

      > your part to move it into the

      > proper directory layout.

      >   If there was some progess being made in going to

      > non flat structure,

      > wouldn't be a big deal.

      > > Why must there be contoversy just over a file

      > system?

      >   Ask yourself the same question - why can't you

      fix

      > them so they aren't in a

      > flat directory.

      > > If I can't upload my maps to CVS where do I back

      > them

      > > up to? Are they that worthless? I do a fair

      amount

      > of

      > > CF work in arches and non-mlab maps, could I

      have

      > > alittle slack? Why is there opposistion just

      > because I

      > > put the maps in their own flatlevel dir?

      >   Sourceforge and the crossfire distribution in

      > particular is not meant to

      > provide a backup service for people.

      >   There are standard practices for a reason.  The

      > second exceptions start

      > getting made for one person, the next person shows

      > up and says 'well, you did it

      > for him, why not for me'.  And figuring out what

      > rules to break for who then

      > leads to a mess of problems.

      > > The reasoning that mlab doesn't even deserve to

      be

      > in

      > > CVS is very alienating, I've worked years on

      > theses

      > > maps. I work nearly constantly on maps for CF.

      >   I don't think I said it doesn't deserve to be in

      > CVS.  I've just said that if

      > it is in CVS, it should follow proper standards.

      > > Mlab could be intergrated into CF-proper right

      now

      > if

      > > I was just given the OK. If an exception to the

      > dir

      > > rule was made.

      > > I though after being involved in CF this long

      the

      > > controversy was over and I could develop as a

      > regular

      > > without asking about every change. I uploaded

      mlab

      > so

      > > it would be with CF, so if my computers go down

      my

      > > years of work are not lost. Sure one can say "go

      > find

      > > some other place to back up to" but... that's

      > > basically telling the person to screw off; their

      > work

      > > is of little value.

      >   Simple solution is that if you make the

      directory

      > structure follow the proper

      > naming, it could be an official part of the map

      > distribution.

      >   The only issue is that your completely unwilling

      > to do that.  Some people have

      > even started the work to integrate your maps with

      > proper naming structure, but

      > you continue to keep going with yours (so that

      even

      > those get updated).

      >   Sure, we could make an exception.  Or you could

      > just follow the rules.  The

      > fact that your not willing to make any effort to

      do

      crossfire at metalforge.org

      Yahoo! for Good

      crossfire at metalforge.org