[crossfire] Unbalanced spell types

Andreas Kirschbaum kirschbaum at myrealbox.com
Fri Oct 7 15:18:09 CDT 2005

5FJust committed the changes. I only fixed area affecting spells; bolt
spells are still broken.

Mark Wedel wrote:

      Andreas Kirschbaum wrote:

      > I think the damage should be scaled down by the monster size

      > (measured in tiles it occupies). This would mean a spell deals full

      > damage only if it hits the whole monster (i.e. the spell covers all

      > monster tiles).

      Do note you need to cover rounding issues. In the case of the greater

      demon (42 spaces), that could be a considerable amount of damage.

I added this by simulating a float effect by randomly giving an
additional damage point. Now on average it should do correct
(fractional) damage.

      And ideally, this should be handled after damage (or maybe as part of)

      damage reduction from protections is taken into account, since that also

      has rounding errors (but I think those might have been fixed by randomly

      determing if the remainder does damage).

I added the damage reduction code after all other damage calculations
are done, just before the "hp -= dam" statement. Therefore no rounding
issues should be present.