[crossfire] Empty bottles bug

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sat Oct 8 15:25:21 CDT 2005

  My personal thought is that using soemthing like other_arch (or if needed, a
new field like other_arch) is probably the better way to go.  This simplifies a
lot of the work (problems you describe).

  Using the inventory to me seems like an odd way to handle this.  I'm sure at
some point we will get into cases where we will have items and using inventory
is ambigous - is that inventory what the object should turn into when used
up/destroyed, or what is really in the object?

  Also, I'd think that putting the empty bottles in the inventory of existing
bottles will effectively increase the weight of the original.  Not sure if that
is intended.  And I'd have to double check the examine object would do the
correct thing in terms of saying the weight.

  OTOH, using other_arch only works if it isn't being used for something else
(which at least for booze, it isn't).

  Other thought is use of the new key-value lists - can just do something like:

on_use_item ...

  And just put the appropriate hook when booze and potions are applied to look
for that and create the item in question.

  This and/or other_arch does have the problem that the object has to be an
archetype.  But same is true for treasurelists, so no loss there.