[crossfire] (Python)

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon Oct 10 23:56:41 CDT 2005

  But all this doesn't really answer the question - when should something be in
python, and when should it be coded in C?

  I haven't looked at the python code really closely, but what I gather is that
a badly written python script is as dangerous for the server as badly written C
code (eg, the script could do things to objects it shouldn't, etc).

  But the point is that lots of stuff could potentially be moved to python is
valid.  but I know from my perspective, I'd rather debug C code than python code
(which is likely harder because there is an extra layer there - is the script
bad, or is there a bug in the plugin logic itself).

  I'm open to thoughts.  I could certainly see people writing new spells
entirely in python, but I'm not sure that would be a good idea.  And same for
lots of other code - I think we need to try and develope some standard for what
should and should not be in python.

  Especially true if python is a requirement - in that case, the case that 'this
isn't really required so is in python' goes away, as python would be required,
then everything could be done in python.