[crossfire] New movement code.

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Fri Oct 14 02:39:11 CDT 2005

  So I finished up the new movement code and did some basic testing, and it
seems to work.

  In basic terms, now multiple move types (walking, fly_low, fly_high,
swimming).  Spaces can block some or all of those.

  For compatibility, no_pass 1 blocks all of those.

  My basic test shows this work.  One issue:

  Movement blockage has to be explicitly set.  In other words, unless something
on the space explicity says you can't use movement type X, you can use it.

  This matches previous behaviour, and for the most part, works fine.

  The issue here is swimming.  As things sound now, you can't swim in the ocean
or rivers, because they have no_pass 1.  However, since pretty much all outdoor
spaces don't set anything, it means you can 'swim' through the desert.

  right now, this doesn't have any relevant meaning - there is no way to get
swimming movement type.  One issue if you could is that slow_move (old field)
only slows down walking, not flying or swimming.

  It seems to me the proper way to fix this is to set all ground objects to have
move_block 8, so you can't swim through desert, forests, etc.

  Any other thoughts?  Notes?  Questions?

  Also, feel free to try this out on my server:

tavern.santa-clara.ca.us

  Do note this server is really only up for this testing.  I put a building next
to the inn in scorn that has some test cases.