[crossfire] New movement code.

Mitch Obrian mikeeusaaa at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 14 10:14:01 CDT 2005

Perhapse an override 1 flag would be good, that way if
anything conflicts between items of the same type then
the override 1 arch wins, if there are more then 1
overrides that conflict the most restrictive arch with
override 1 wins.

--- David Delbecq <
     delbd at oma.be
     > wrote:

      2 questions

      - can we think about allowing player to swim in

      non-deep sea (near scorn

      port) and if so, make this movements very low (for

      geographical reasons)

      - If we suppose you can't swim in on grass (obvious)

      using move_block 8,

      what about grass with a piece of river above??

      Tricky? that's because

      this flag is a per tile flag while it is set at the

      object level.

      Perhaps we could start start, apart from this patch,

      a discusion on the

      opportunity

      to move every square flag away from object to the

      map square itself. Or

      perhaps creating a mapsquare_flag object which

      override any map flag

      that could be set by other object. This

      mapsquare_flag object could be

      present not as an object but a a square properties

      in the editor.

      1 Suggestion

      Is it faisable with current code to create a square

      that could be

      traversed by small creature but not by big one.

      eg: mice, ants, dogs, cats, and 'crouched' humanoids

      could get thru but

      not any thing bigger?

      other example: only mice, ants, dogs

      Other suggestion: a square that need a minimu size

      to get thru. Eg a 1m

      wall mice can't pass while any humanoid can

      naturally climb it? :D

      Any way, good job Mark,

      Regards,

      Tchize

      Mark Wedel a écrit :

      >  So I finished up the new movement code and did

      some basic testing,

      > and it
     >
      > seems to work.
     >

      >  In basic terms, now multiple move types (walking,

      fly_low, fly_high,

      > swimming).  Spaces can block some or all of those.
     >

      >  For compatibility, no_pass 1 blocks all of those.
     >

      >  My basic test shows this work.  One issue:
     >

      >  Movement blockage has to be explicitly set.  In

      other words, unless

      > something on the space explicity says you can't

      use movement type X,

      > you can use it.
     >

      >  This matches previous behaviour, and for the most

      part, works fine.

      >  The issue here is swimming.  As things sound now,

      you can't swim in

      > the ocean or rivers, because they have no_pass 1.

      However, since

      > pretty much all outdoor spaces don't set anything,

      it means you can

      > 'swim' through the desert.
     >

      >  right now, this doesn't have any relevant meaning

      - there is no way

      > to get swimming movement type.  One issue if you

      could is that

      > slow_move (old field) only slows down walking, not

      flying or swimming.

      >  It seems to me the proper way to fix this is to

      set all ground

      > objects to have move_block 8, so you can't swim

      through desert,

      > forests, etc.
     >

      >  Any other thoughts?  Notes?  Questions?
     >

      >  Also, feel free to try this out on my server:
     >

      > tavern.santa-clara.ca.us
     >

      >  Do note this server is really only up for this

      testing.  I put a

      > building next to the inn in scorn that has some

      test cases.

      crossfire at metalforge.org

      crossfire at metalforge.org