[crossfire] [IDEA] Reagents for cast magic

Mitch Obrian mikeeusaaa at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 14 20:16:02 CDT 2005

Please don't make the magic system less complex.
Please.

We can add witchcraft if it is desired, new spells
will be needed (turn to frog, etc).

Also in some areas witchcraft may land a person in
jail :)

--- Brendan Lally <
     brenlally at gmail.com
     > wrote:

      I'll try to only post to the list once this

      time.....

      On 10/14/05, ERACC <
      eracclists at bellsouth.net
      > wrote:
     >
      > He's not random. I chose him specifically because

      I agree with his

      > fantasy ideas on "witchcraft" vs. "sorcery" and

      his writing that down

      > in his novels keeps me from having to reiterate it

      here.

      It might do if it was someone I had heard of.....

      > As for "game
     >
      > balance" ... well, I've not ever been fond of that

      term as it

      > usually means nerfing or disabling something I

      have found fun to use

      > in the game.

      If by 'fun' you mean unequivocably superior to all

      other options to

      solve the same problem, then yes. Almost all games,

      from a simple game

      of draughts to more sophistacated games like risk or

      D&D are based

      around making interesting choices, when the best

      choice to make is

      unclear and requires some combination of skill,

      luck, experience and

      planning. A choice that has an obvious or trivial

      best solution is

      null. It doesn't matter in game terms and is merely

      an impediment to

      the enjoyment of the game. I am not convinced that

      currently choice of

      spells (particularly in combat) is an interesting

      choice most of the

      time (it tends to be meteor swarm, if that doesn't

      work icestorm or

      banisment (if undead or the right race). Only very

      rarely are any

      other spells used, at least IME.

      > Same goes for "game economy". It's a fantasy game,

      it

      > *should* be easy to get insanely "wealthy" once

      one knows how. If I

      > want things to be difficult and to have little

      money I have that in

      > real life.

      Maybe but you shouldn't get that at level 1. It

      should rather be

      something that is gradually accumulated, and

      requires a degree of

      challenge, at least initially. If that is absent,

      then money is made

      worthless.

      > I'm reading "game balance" but thinking "game

      complexity". I think

      > this will just make the game more complex. It is

      already quite

      > complex now and takes plenty of time to learn to

      play well enough to

      > survive to a high level

      This doesn't neccessarily have to make the game more

      complex. It would

      be quite possible to remove spell points at the same

      time, and with it

      the complexity of power crystals, power potions, and

      magic stats.

      Especially if the amount of each ingredient it was

      possible to

      stockpile was limited (to go back to my previous

      idea about

      incorporating it into food, a point at which you are

      told 'your body

      is incapable of holding any more of this'

      likewise paths could be removed, rather have

      attunements to the

      individual ingredients (so that you need twice as

      much, or half the

      number for certain spells).

      To my mind that would be a /simpler/ magic system

      than the one that

      exists currently. The question then would be whether

      it is worth

      changing to. That is a difficult question to resolve

      (which is why it

      is a topic of discussion here).

      crossfire at metalforge.org