[Crossfire] Installation frontend (Linux/Unix only)

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sun Oct 16 00:29:50 CDT 2005

Alberto Sáez Lodeiros wrote:

      I like so much Crossfire, and I like and want to colaborate the

      project. The inconvenient is that i don't know how to do maps nor

      Python programming. But i know Tcl/Tk and some Visual Basic

      Programming.

      I know very well how Tcl/Tk is, and i use GAMBAS to create Visual

      Basic like programs, so i can create a frontend (using better Tcl/Tk)

      to install Crossfire under Linux/Unix systems.

      This frontend will have two options:

      1.- Install in base of a rpm Crossfire packet

      OR

      2.- Compile the Crossfire source code.

  I'm uncertain on the need to do either of those.

  I could be wrong, but my perception is that crossfire isn't really any more
difficult to install than lots of other programs.

  For precompiled RPMS, just a simple rpm -i is all that is needed.  If they are
using a machine that takes RPMs, I'd think that should be something they can handle.

  Server is a little more complicated if you want to compile it, but once again,
probably better to just have them use the rpm. OTOH, I don't think a binary
version of the server has been release lately for unix.  But the server does use
the standard autoconf build process, so pretty basic (users should just need to
follow the INSTALL guide).

  rpms are build with the rpmbuild command.