[crossfire] Love and marriage, love and marriage...

Lalo Martins lalo at exoweb.net
Sun Oct 16 05:49:40 CDT 2005

My wife has been busy picking ideas from commercial games that could be
cool in crossfire.

Her first suggestion is to add marriage.  Of course, anyone who used to
play MUDs will remember that you could get married in many of them;
right now, the specific game she's talking about (no mentioning names)
gives the couple some interesting advantages, like sharing HP (depends
on a special object), and teleporting ("summoning") the partner (a
special "spell").

Here's a small list of things I think marriage could do in CF:

- a high-level spell to summon your partner to your side.  (Or two;
maybe a summonning spell brings the partner immediately, a sorcery spell
opens a portal between the two of you, something like that)

- when you enter an unique map, if you don't have "your" version of that
map but your partner does, you go to the partner's; alas, shared apartments

- if the couple is in neighbouring squares (alternatively, if they're
within a distance smaller than their level; alternatively, if they're in
the same map), they can share spell points.  This could be
enabled/disabled by a command (a la petmode, peaceful, etc).  So if the
mage partner runs out of mana, the warrior partner can "lend" some.

- if sharing HP is deemed interesting enough, it should probably depend
on a hard-to-get artifact (quest objective).

(Willing to implement.  Although my C skill is so out of shape that all
patches I've sent to crossfire to date had to be partially or completely
rewritten before they went into CVS...)

best,
                                               Lalo Martins
     http://www.exoweb.net/