[crossfire] [IDEA] Reagents for cast magic

Alberto Sáez Lodeiros cerzeo at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 07:33:21 CDT 2005

      Mark Wedel wrote:

      2) PRices for reagants, especially for high level spells, could be quite costly.

      1000 pp to cast comet?

I think instead set an high price to the high level spells reagents, i
think it's better to set those reagents not buyable. This is, those
reagent can only be found onto a dungeon, killing a hard monster, or
they are "hidding" in a chest of this dungeon.
This is because when i am level 80, i will have enough money to buy
this "ultimate" reagents.

      3) Reagants should be quite light, so that you can carry a bunch of them without

      much effect on weight (or perhaps give players a reagant pouch that reduces

      weight quite a bit).

Yes, i refer a reagent, something like an herb, a black pearl,
etc...all those light

      4) Not all spells should necessarily require reagants.  Most lower level spells

      perhaps shouldn't, with more requirement for higher level spells.

      5) Use of reagants should be similar to arrows, eg, happens automatically.

      Player shouldn't have to be fumbling through their inventory for them.

Yes, one reagent must be of one-use. It consumes (like arrows) once
the player cast a spell requiring the reagents

      6) Could perhaps be interesting to have alternate reagants for spells with

      different effects (less or more powerful, etc).

This is also a good idea, but i refer to reagent like requisite, not complement.

And i have found another good thing. Using reagents, will not allow
players to cast spells massively. I think this yesterday, playing CF.
I start to cast "Burning Hands" massively, to try to kill dozens of
hill giants. With reagents, I must be carefull with spellcasting. Or
maybe, i must go to kill hill giants with other mages, or maybe need
to go with a team.