[crossfire] Re: New movement code. (Wraith stuff) (Please don't implement)

Mitch Obrian mikeeusaaa at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 19 11:40:09 CDT 2005

Please do not implement this passing through walls
stuff.
I /strongly/ oppose passing through walls. I do not
want my maps to become worthless because someone
decided we need to make the game worthlessly easy.

--- Anton Oussik <
     antonoussik at gmail.com

      On 19/10/05, Brendan Lally <
      brenlally at gmail.com

      antonoussik at gmail.com

      wrote:

      > > When activated the wraith becomes invisible,

      stealthy, can move

      > > through walls, and can not cast spells, or hold

      items in inventory

      > > (except invisible ones of course), The only

      attack then avaliable is

      > > wraith touch, which deals ghosthit, depletion,

      drain, and life

      > > slealing.
     >

      > > Without clothes wraiths are not very strong, so

      I do not see how it

      > > will make them overpowered. Running for the

      nearest wall will often be

      > > the best choice, only preying on the weak, but

      that will be the only

      > > way of surviving, since you would die from three

      hits by a powerful

      > > monster, if you can not life steal them as fast

      as they are hitting

      > > you.
     >

      > Will direct attacks hit wraith stood in a wall

      (like they do in ADOM

      > with ghosts)?

      I believe they will with the current code. I have

      killed monsters

      stuck in walls before.

      > Will rings/amulets remain wearable?

      No. They can not pass through walls as they are, and

      therefore you can

      not take them with you. I say again, nothing worn,

      nothing carried. If

      it shows up in inventory, you can not take it with

      you.

      > I'm inclined to say that at least there should be

      a /big/ hit points

      > penalty as well (maybe 50% - though with a small

      ac bonus too ?)

      Create a naked wraith, try using it to fight

      something, and say that again.

      > > While in this mode the wraith ca not pick

      anything up, or interact

      > > with the environment, like push switches,

      buttons, or anything like

      > > that.
     >

      > Ok, so their weight would have to be zero too.

      I am not sure the server will like that, but yes,

      essentially.

      > Would you change the face as well, to give some

      clue they are in this mode?

      Being invisible will change the face automatically.

      It will be like

      wearing god finger.

      > > This would also mean players can not take stuff

      out of treasure

      > > rooms... they can get in, fly though it, and

      then walk out again

      > > leaving treasure behind. They would not be able

      to steal it without

      > > completing the quest.
     >

      > You need to deal with switching out of this mode

      inside the treasure

      > room (you try to adress this later)

      I think I do.

      > > Also you should not be able to go into void

      squares to get to other

      > > "floors" or mechanic sections of the map. You

      should be able to apply

      > > exits though, to get around between maps.
     >

      > not all boulder layouts are seperated by squares

      with no tiles on.

      True, but I do not see this as a huge problem if

      sometimes you can

      wander into a mechanism. x-ray vision allows you to

      see many of them,

      and that is not much of a problem.

      > > There is howerver a case of the player going

      into the mode sneaking up

      > > to a switch opening treasure room, and then

      taking it out. The only

      > > way out of this I see is to only provide one way

      of leaving the mode

      > > once entered: by visiting some well defined set

      of points (like an

      > > altar of devourers, or a graveyard to posess a

      new body). This way it

      > > will be impossible for a player to either cheat

      in the quest or help

      > > other players cheat.
     >

      > Alter of devourers might work, but there are maps

      that have alters in

      > dungeons, and these might get placed in areas

      where a player could get

      > stuck.
     >

      > Also what about a wraith that doesn't worship

      devourers?

      > There are similar issues with graveyard placement,

      plus it is a little

      > illogical that a graveyard corpse should work, but

      a 'fresh' one

      > should not.

      Yes, I dislike both examples I gave myself. It seems

      something new

      needs to be introduced into the game, and placed

      around towns to allow

      wraiths get new bodies. Something not already found

      anywhere.

      crossfire at metalforge.org