[crossfire] Re: New movement code.

temitchell at sympatico.ca temitchell at sympatico.ca
Fri Oct 21 16:10:47 CDT 2005

      From: Mark Wedel <
      mwedel at sonic.net

        I'm also a bit reluctant to add tons of new movement types.  After all, at

      some level, the movement type is the same, what is different is that some things

      may move through spaces better than others.

        So rather than adding a desert movement type (or camel), I'd rather desert

      have a high enough slow move penalty to make it very slow to move through, and

      then give camels some ability to ignore that (built in desert movement skill or

      something).

I agree with this, basically movement types would only be useful when you have a blocking condition they would address.  Otherwise in these cases slowing or speeding movement is perhaps better (and uses different code).

        Similar for forest and jungles - I'm not sure I want a new movement type, vs

      making it painfully slow enough you have the appropriate skills.

True enough, I was thinking of balancing starting racial benefits such as dragon flight - however this can easily become an arms race where everyone looses (elves and halflings get forestwalk, dragons get flying, serpentmen get swimming, humans and dwarves get screwed over...) and maybe isn't a good idea.   Maybe we should rethink racial flight given the new value of flying - only giving it out as a usable race-skill later on in the player development.  Also if you want to block arrows and such you can make arches that do that anyway with the current suggestions.