[crossfire] map redo: more layers.

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Fri Sep 2 23:14:25 CDT 2005

adam ashenfelter wrote:

      How about 11: rooftops.  When player is not under one, client displays

      them.  When the player walks under one, they disappear, and the player

      can see the interior.

  I don't see how this really works much with the current system.

  All the houses that players enter take them to new maps - hence, no rooftop
visible (ok, there might be a few exceptions, but still).

  There isn't even the graphics right now for rooftops - they are just part of
building graphic.

  Also, doing so creates a new complication for drawing.  The way a map actually
looks is consistent for everyone - what changes is what spaces are visible.

  In such an above system, you'd now start making what the player sees on each
space relative to where they are.  So if you have a case of two players in the
same area, but one indoors, the other outdoors, for the indoor player, he'd see
everything inside.  For the outdoor player, he'd just see the roof.

  Doing this would be a non trivial change, and also create a cpu hit.

  But mostly, since I don't see the maps or graphics set up to make use of this
at all right now, doesn't see much point to add such support.