[crossfire] map redo: more layers.

Mitch Obrian mikeeusaaa at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 6 13:29:30 CDT 2005

Yay more layers :D and maybe some optimization :D.
Just keep it that the player can't cheat as we have it
now :)

--- Mark Wedel <

     mwedel at sonic.net

      tchize wrote:

      >>  The trickier part in all this is how to condense

      it down for the 3 objects for

      >>old protocol.  May idea would be to basically set

      up a table which says order of

      >>objects you are looking at.  The order would

      always be the same, but it may be

      >>something like:

      > why adapt old protocol, keep it's old behaviour

      (floor + 2 topmost objects)

        I'd have to look, but I think the old display

      logic has a more complicated

      logic than that (eg, things like monsters have

      pretty high importance in the

      display order).

        The old system basically had 3 layers:

      1: Floor

      2: Most important object, typically determined by

      visiblity value or other critier.

      3: top object.

        The problem with just taking the floor + 2 top

      objects is a couple spells now

      obscure all monsters beneath it, which may not be a

      good thing.  I suppose that

      can be used as a first pass to see how things look,

      and if it breaks a lot of

      stuff, work on refining i.

      > may i suggest static  things like buildings/floor

      be sent once and for all to client

        Static things in general will only be sent once -

      the new system should make

      that more consistent - one problem with the old

      system is things can 'jump'

      layers depending on other objects.

        But if you mean send all static data for the map

      once, that creates a few

      problems:

      1) Imposes even more lag when hopping maps, as a

      potentially very large burst of

      information needs to be sent.

      2) potentially gives away map information (I'm

      ignoring the issue that most all

      maps are available for download - one could envision

      a server running private maps).

      3) Gets trickier for the outdoor world maps

        IF you mean we only send that building once, then

      we need to track somehow we

      don't need to sent it again (I imagine the case

      you're talking about here is

      player steps to side so portion of map is no longer

      visible, then steps back

      that direction so it is again).  I suppose we can

      track that player has seen

      that space before.

        However, in both cases, I think the bandwidth

      savings by doing this are

      relative trivial - granted, a player stepping back

      and forth constantly will

      cause a row to be redrawn, but if players want to

      abuse stuff, they can hop back

      and forth between maps.

      > Also, think about integrating ground animations in

      protocol (i mean, do not send

      > sea each time it change, better tell client there

      is an animated object on that layer)

        This is reasonable, but I think we need to

      establish 'constant' animations.

      What that means is that this is the animation

      sequence and this is the speed and

      will always be the speed (which for things like

      water is true).

        Then, we could send that animation info once, and

      then when we get such an

      animation, just send the fact is is constant

      animation XYZ.

        If we have to send animation speed/phase for such

      objects, this is less a

      gain.  And if we try to do it for monsters, I think

      it adds a lot of

      complication for what once again may not be a lot of

      gain.

      crossfire at metalforge.org