[crossfire] map and player persistence question

Blake Delaney blatnc at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 10 19:51:21 CDT 2005

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how the persistence system
works in crossfire, for maps and for players.

Note that anywhere I ask about the location of source
code, I'm talking about file and function names.

Maps:
I noticed that a map will keep its state for a period
of time after I leave it. I also noticed that it will
lose all that state if enough time passes. From the
source code I noticed some sort of reset system.
That's about all I have figured out at the moment.

How is it decided when to load a map into memory?
Where is the source code that makes this decision?

How is it decided when to reset a map?  Where is the
source code that does this? Is this done by simply
deleting the changed map in memory?

Can a map ever reset with a player on it?

Are there any maps that don't reset?

Is there any mechanism for state changes to a map that
will not be cleared after a short amount of time? If
so where is the source code that deals with that?

Are changed maps ever saved to disk for any reason in
crossfire?  By changed, I mean maps with items dropped
on them, or generated monsters, or whatever.

Players:
When is a character saved to disk?  Is it only when
they go to bed?  Where is the source code that deals
with this?

It seems that there is only one character allowed per
player.  Is that accurate?

Thank you in advance for any answers, explanations or
resources.

Sincerely,
Blake