[crossfire] Buildable Land Plots

Mitch Obrian mikeeusaaa at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 26 02:05:01 CDT 2005

On my server I'd like all worldmaps to be buildable.
It would be good to have a setting atleast to allow
the server admin to allow building everywhere.

Look at the text muds. They allow building everywhere.
Also we don't have kings, perhapse players themselves
will become the rulers as in text muds. Less
restrictions (or rather, the ability to place less
restrictions) is a good thing for enjoyment of the
game.

--- Mark Wedel <

     mwedel at sonic.net

     > wrote:

        It seems to me that areas have to be set up that

      allow building.

        After all, the king (or someone) owns all the

      land,  They probably don't want

      someone plopping a house down in the middle of their

      favorite hunting forest.

        If this zoning is added, it then fixes the problem

      of map makers trying to use

      those spaces - if they see that space is set for

      building, they should avoid it

      and put their entrance someplace else.

        That said, wide areas should probably be set up

      for building - we don't want

      the case of the old apartements were 20 rooms (or

      whatever) seemed like enough,

      but clearly isn't.  hundreds, or perhaps thousands,

      of buildable spaces should

      be set up. (mmmm, we can have the navar city

      suburbs).

        If I recall correctly, one idea on this was to

      actually set up house archs

      (and other buildings) that were closed with a

      message like:

      "For Sale - 50,000 pp.  Go to ... to buy deed" and

      then when player has deed and

      uses it on that space, it now becomes a map.

        This goes with Todds idea of different building

      layouts you could buy, eg,

      that tower may be 100,000 pp, but is 3 small levels.

       That hut is only 25,000

      but is only one small room, etc.

        Rather than tieing specific deeds to plot,

      probably make it simpler - you buy

      the deed for a tower, and when you find the one you

      like, and that hasn't been

      used by someone else, you try try to enter and 'buy'

      it, and your deed is

      updated somehow.

        Now what would be even cooler, and maybe is a job

      for the plugin or just DM's,

      is some form of shop/other building creation.  Eg,

      suppose an area is set up

      that isn't close to any city.  After enough plots

      (or maybe value of those

      plots) in that area is sold, a general store pops up

      or something (after all,

      lots of people in the area).  As said, maybe let the

      DM handle that, but maybe

      put in some hooks to make it easier (eg, dm just

      issues a single command and a

      shop is copied from the templates and exits are

      updated, etc).

      crossfire at metalforge.org