[crossfire] Improved post office idea

Todd Mitchell temitchell at sympatico.ca
Mon Sep 26 18:40:22 CDT 2005

I think it would be easier to sell a new container type of letter object
(shipping box) at the IPO which you can place items into to mail them.
It could function like a letter does now except it is a container.  Then
you drop it into the mailbox and it gets sent.

Nicolas Weeger wrote:

     Hello.

     When we'll have the new plugin system (*ponders sending in a

     search party for gros*), I'll extend the post office to send

     items to other players.

     I think it's not that hard actually:

     * sending player drops items on a some specific altar/square

     * sending player says "send <player name>"

     * items get teleported to a unique square in a global

     (unlinked probably?) map

     * during teleportation, the "custom_name" is set to receiving

     player

     * player wanting to get sent items goes to post office, says

     "get items" (or opens container, ...), items get teleported

     back from the unique map, custom_name is cleared, et voila,

     item sent

     Event option would be used to specify on which spot the player

     should drop items and what map to put'em into, this would let

     have different post offices :)

     If many items are sent this way, then maybe the check on

     whether a player has or not items in the unique map could be

     skipped, and simply a message sent when items are sent.

     (because each time a player connects you need to open the

     storage map, check items for one having the right custom_name).

     Also, there could be fun things to do with that:

     * pay item-price/10 + item-weight/10 for standard send, but,

     alas, probability to lose the item is ~10%

     * pay item-price, item is either sent or you get item-price *

     5 indemnity (~1% chance)

     * delivery takes time

     * receiving player pays some fees based on distance between

     the 2 post offices (hard to compute distance, though)

     * imagine some more :)

     Ryo