[crossfire] requestable party lists

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon Apr 24 02:13:07 CDT 2006

  Overall, the idea looks fine, but I haven't looked at the actual patch.

  But a few other thoughts:

1) It could be nice to include the highest number party number in the stats
command (only transmit when changed).  Since I recall that whenever a new party
is created, the client can use this to know when in fact there are new parties.

2) It could likewise be nice for the requestinfo party_list to take a parameter,
which denotes to only send party info above that number.

  In this way, the client could keep track of what is last requested up to, and
then can just request the new parties.

  Normally, this isn't an issue, but I believe there have been cases where
people have tried to abuse the server by creating hundreds of parties.  If with
a relatively modest number of parties, you probably want to be able to only send
the new ones.

  Periodically I suppose the client could go through and request all the parties
to figure out which are now defunct.  OR perhaps more to have something like a
request active party type of thing, which really only needs to send the party
numbers of the active parties.