[crossfire] NPC recursive bug

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon Aug 7 02:16:36 CDT 2006

  I agree that adding new static variables may not be the best thing.

  And actually, for the NPC code, making it so it doesn't need them may not be
so hard (since I think it recursives pretty locally).  OTOH, it may not be so
easy - I briefly looked at the apply code before formulating my reply, and it
can recurse, but pretty indirectly, which is probably why it uses a static.

  The advantage of it actually recursing with passed in value is that it
eliminates any bug where the count isn't being decremented - to start out with,
you pass in zero when the player is saying something.