[crossfire] create earth wall totally nerfed ...

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Fri Aug 11 00:36:48 CDT 2006

Andrew Fuchs wrote:
>> Alright, if a player could JUMP on and over her/his own earth walls that would
>> be better than now. That way my maps are not going to be TOO hard just very,
>> very challenging. I want people to survive the quest and the earth walls are
>> the best way (if a player can figure that out). Please see what you can do to
>> fix this at least for jumping on and over created earth walls. I will be more
>> than willing to do any testing and provide feedback. Thanks.
>
> I'm thinking that adding a new movement type, then redoing the jumping
> code to use it, would probably be the best way to go.  Anyone want to
> comment or impliment this?

  a new movement type for jump?  I suppose that could be done - OTOH, I'm not
sure how many movement types we want.

  One theory, and what I originally envisioned, was keeping them fairly broad -
walking, fly low, fly high (spells vs say flying on a dragon), swimming, boat.

  The other side is that you have a movement type for every particular way of
moving - crawl, run, jump, swim, skip, etc.

  The later provides lots of way to control movement.  OTOH, if movement types
are automatic, it may not mean much (ok, you have to crawl in that low passage,
but since you will crawl automatically, what difference does it make?), etc.

  That said, looking at the actual problem at hand, I think this is the commit
that changed the behaviour:

revision 1.4
date: 2006/06/01 17:24:00;  author: akirschbaum;  state: Exp;  lines: +1 -0
Make earthwalls block all movement types. This makes the spell earth to dust wor
k again.

  Yet all the earth to dust code looks for is:
             if (GET_MAP_MOVE_BLOCK(m, sx, sy)) {
}

  So the move_block for earthwalls could be changed to just block move_walk, and
you could jump over the earthwalls and earth to dust would still work.

  The downside is that spells then go over earthwalls, since most spells fly.  I
think letting spells go over (through) earthwalls would cause problems on some maps.

  One possibility is to make a new earthwall archetype that only blocks walking
and have the spell use that new archetype, so earthwalls created by the spell
only block walking, but those on maps block everything.  Map makers could of
course change behaviour of earthwalls on maps to match what they want it to do.

  I'm not sure if that causes any problems - letting players fire spells or
other attacks over earthwalls at monsters may cause problems, as I'm not 100%
sure all monsters are smart enough to try and break through the earthwall (but
that could then be considered a different problem).