[crossfire] crossfire source code control systems

Alex Schultz alex_sch at telus.net
Tue Aug 15 00:26:53 CDT 2006

Mark Wedel wrote:
> Alex Schultz wrote:
>
>> Ok, I just made up a table of the criteria that Mark listed, and a
>> couple others, for CVS, SVN, Mercurial, Bzr, and Darcs (anyone want any
>> others on the table?). If anyone has any revisions or wants to add any
>> other SCMs feel free to make them.
>> Currently storing it in my namespace on the wiki at:
>> http://wiki.metalforge.net/doku.php/user:rednaxela:scmtable
>> Make sure to read the numerous footnotes when looking at the table.
>>

>   Few notes on this:

Updated the table to account for your notes.
>   I was looking over the sourceforge documentation, and hosting mercurial or
> darcs on the project web space and getting the data via the webserver looks to
> be a violation of their terms of usage.
>
>   In particular, two things stand out - the quota for the web space is 100 mb,
> and they don't want bandwidth intensive use (specifically say to use the file
> release mechanism for file releases, not the web space).  Crossfire, with CVS
> history and all, uses about a gigabyte of space. The file access rules might be
> another issue.

Indeed, that is an issue that prevents it from being usable on sf.net,
though I have heard that project space of some other free hosts does
allow this sort of usage, though I am unsure of if the web space
provided is sufficient on those.

>   OTOH, mercurial makes it much easier to have children, given it is a
> replicated system.  So one could easily have sourceforge or the like the
> definitive location, but not allow the read-only access from there, instead,
> various sites could have branches that make it available, and they just do
> pullovers nightly or whatever.  But the sourceforge is certainly an issue, but
> if we decide something not officially supported by sourceforge is best, we can
> then start the process of seeing what would work.

(mercurial, and most other distributed systems)
Well, even if that avoided the issue of "bandwidth intensive use", the
quota of 100MB makes it so we still couldn't do that on sf.net, however
doing such a thing on other free hosts may be a possibility. One issue
with that though would be, where should such children systems be anyways?

I think the main thing we need to figure out right now, is if we have a
viable way to host systems such as Mercurial. One thing to note, is we
could move to a more decentralized system, however:
  1) We would still need some tree to be considered "official" or
"authoritative" for the purposes of what we will release and such
things. It would be possible to let a given developer handle that
however I am unsure if that would work very well.
  2) Many developers don't have the means to host a branch for others to
pull from
Anyone have any ideas for hosting such things?

Also, bzr, which launchpad.net can provide hosting for, looks reasonable
(see the chart) except that it is very slow to do a branch over http
with (see Lalo's email: 2 hours), so would that sort of wait to make
one's first local branch be acceptable to people, considering that to
pull further updates is reasonable in speed, and that further local
branches can be done from existing local branches? Also note, bzr can do
cvs-style lightweight checkouts if that is reasonable to the people who
won't wait 2 hours for their first local branch.

Alex Schultz