[crossfire] crossfire source code control systems

Alex Schultz alex_sch at telus.net
Tue Aug 15 10:51:14 CDT 2006

Raphaël Quinet wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 22:39:59 +0800, Lalo Martins <lalo.martins at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 11:40:46 +0200, Raphaël Quinet wrote:
>>
>>> One thing that could be added in the "nice to have" list is the
>>> support for migrating local branches to another repository.
>>>
>> That's easy; all distributed revision control systems have that ability
>> (they call it "pushing" or "mirroring" the branch, depending on the
>> system).  It's a requirement of the distributed model, for reasons you
>> expose quite well in your message.
>>

> Do you know if all of them allow any user to perform that mirroring?
> I thought that some of them required some action from the branch owner,
> not just any user (as I mentioned in my previous message, requiring the
> owner to do it would not fit in the "good support" category).  If all
> of them provide good support for moving or mirroring local branches
> back to the "official" repository, then there is no need to add this
> feature to the comparison table.  And anyway, I would prefer to avoid
> using local branches for the reasons explained in my other message.
Well, most of them operate over ssh, so if you could make a branch on at
a remote location, simply requires that you have permissions to the
parent directory of where the branches are stored, in addition to the
branches. Some distributed systems are able to init over ssh, however
there are other systems that would require you to manually log in to the
remote location and init a repository before you can push to it. Of
course, it is trivial to make a miniature bash script a couple lines
long to handle the logging in to the remote system to init the
repository. Mercurial for example seems to supposed to be able to do
that however at least in 0.9.1 seems to be buggy at initing a repository
over ssh.

Alex Schultz