[crossfire] crossfire source code control systems

Alex Schultz alex_sch at telus.net
Wed Aug 16 01:09:54 CDT 2006

Mark Wedel wrote:
>   If a distributed model is used, this is how I would see local branches in use:

Agreed on the points you mentioned, just one comment.
>   I note that in all of these cases, this is basically functionality that CVS
> doesn't really support well.  I'd have to double check, but I thought most of
> the distributed ones have a method to reparent - if you did a checkout from a
> mirror, made some changes and wanted to put back, you have to commit to the main
> repository so need to reparent to that.

Most distributed systems allow pushing to and pulling from arbitrary
repositories, the "parent" that it keeps track of is just the default
repository to pull from or push to if you don't specify one, so for the
purposes of a one time push to the main repository, no need to even
bother reparenting really. If you want to change the default "parent"
though, I think you typically have to manually change that in a file,
but those files are human readable just like CVS/Root files, and there
is only one to change per branch, instead of one-per-directory like in CVS.

Alex Schultz