[crossfire] Death attack question

Alex Schultz alex_sch at telus.net
Sat Aug 19 18:48:19 CDT 2006

Nicolas Weeger (Laposte) wrote:
> I fixed a bug preventing death attack from working correctly, but there are a
> few things to decide concerning that:
>
> * what should happen in the case of friendly fire? Right now, damage dealt
> through death attack will be reduced, so player won't be killed. Should
> player be killed anyway?

I'm not really sure about that issue, on one hand it might seem harsh to
accidentally pk so easily with that, on the other hand there are pk
allowed servers where it may seem silly to have the death attacktype not
do what it says on players.
> * if death_attack is combined with AT_MAGIC, a monster can survive if the save
> throw is successful. Is that a good behaviour?

It depends, when the saving throw is successful, does it take any
damage, or just not do anything? If not do anything, that is desirable
IMHO considering AT_MAGIC is supposed to be only on spells and similar,
and the saving throw is supposed to affect all spells. If it's currently
causing partial damage with that, then I would say it's bad behavior.
> * death attack can success only if hitter level is twice the victim level.
> That sounds pretty arbitrary, no?
It does seem pretty arbitrary, but IMHO some limit is needed and that
seems like as reasonable a place as any.

Alex Schultz