[crossfire] LF vs CRLF

Alex Schultz alex_sch at telus.net
Fri Dec 15 01:31:08 CST 2006

Hi,

Due to some issues that bencha (from IRC) had when trying to do a
checkout of the map tree on win32, I removed the svn property
"svn:eol-style" which was set to "native" from all map and archetype
files. This solution worked however I think the issue should be brought
up here. As I see it there are three possible long term solutions:

Make a rule of always making sure svn:eol-style is set to LF or not set
(preferably not set as to match what I have done already IMHO). The
drawback of this is that there are bound to be some mistakes in
following this rule, though on the other hand a script to check it would
be simple.

There is also the option of seeing if we could get sf.net to place an
approved post-commit hooked script in which makes sure it's unset for
all maps and arches. This would be safer than the above, but there's a
high chance we wouldn't be able to get sf.net to approve such a script
for usage.

Finally, there is also the option of making the server handle both LF
and CRLF style line endings. IMHO this is the best option for a long
term  and proper solution. I'm not sure off hand how easy this would be
with lex though.

Alex