[crossfire] Code cleanlieness and server stability

Alex Schultz alex_sch at telus.net
Sun Feb 26 23:34:49 CST 2006

Mark Wedel wrote:

>  Actually, the server has been relatively stable (in terms of crashes)
>recently, IMO.

Well, lately it has been reletively crash free compared to some other
times in the past, though compared to many other applications and such,
crossfire does seem to be a bit flakier both bug and crash wise.

>  The null pointer crashes, while annoying, are also relatively easy to fix and
>find.  I'll include the more difficult bugs at the end.

Yes, was just using that as an example, because however easy to fix they
are, they are rather easy to stumble upon too and thus a higher profile
example.

>  One easy thing I would suggest is that all code developers be on the
>crossfire-CVS mailing list so they see the commits, and thus can keep an eye out
>for what things have been changed/fixed, and whether that was their code.

Agreed, the thing I was proposing above for that was certainly
over-engineered and what you're saying alone should be sufficent (and
already in practice for most people to my knowledge)

>  One thing I'd add to such a code cleanup is that there should be the
>willingness to break things (that can be fixed on the map level) for cleaner code.
>
>  A lot of functions are overly complicated because code was put in place to fix
>map bug X, Y, and Z.

I'm curious, I haven't heard of any of these cases. Could you give an
example?

Alex Schultz