[crossfire] requestable spell lists.

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Thu Jan 5 23:10:52 CST 2006

Brendan Lally wrote:
> It took a little while, but I've now gone and implemented most of the
> suggestions from earlier in this thread. The server now sends the data
> in binary form, as well as a couple of other changes. The tracker item
> mentioned previously has had the associated patch uploaded.

  All looks good - just a one minor question:

> +       <name> (1 (non-zero) length byte, followed by that many bytes
> of ascii text)
> +               This is the name of the spell, and should be sent to the server
> +               in order to cast/invoke it.
> +
> +       <display name> (1 length byte (which may be zero) followed by that
> +               many bytes of ascii text)
> +               This is the name to display to the player regarding the spell.
> +               If length is zero, then the <name> should be used instead.

  Just curious what these these two names are far.  As far as I know right now,
each spell only has one name, so not sure why there are two.

  As an aside - it doesn't need to be part of this patch, but it might be nice
to have the cast/invoke command be able to tag a numeric value instead of string
name, eg:

  cast 12345

  Which casts the spell associated with tag 12345.  This provides a slightly
more efficient way of the client communicating to the server what spell to cast,
and also provides a fairly good optimized way for the server to find the spell
(doesn't have to worry about duplicates - just has to see if an item with that
tag exists in the inventory (of which there is already code that does it) and
verify it is of type spell.