[crossfire] directing detectors?

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon Jan 16 00:42:19 CST 2006

hv at crypt.org wrote:
> In server/time.c:process_object(), the final switch statement has:
>     case DETECTOR:
>         move_detector(op);
>
>     case DIRECTOR:
>         if (op->stats.maxsp)
>             animate_turning(op);
>         return 0;
> (in both 1.8.0 release and current cvs).
>
> Is this intended to fall through to the DIRECTOR case? If so I'd
> recommend a /* fall through */ comment to clarify that.
>
> No other cases within the switch fall through, and I couldn't find
> an example in the maps of a detector with maxsp, so I suspect it is
> unintentional.

  I suspect it is intentional, as the arch/connect/Director/director.arc does
have maxsp set.

  That said, since detectors detect object above them and then trigger something
else, it is unclear to me what that point to having them point in a specific
direction serves.

  It looks like the movers were basically just grabbed and copied over - in the
case of movers, a direction makes sense for them.