[crossfire] Moving server towards a modularized system?

Yann Chachkoff yann.chachkoff at myrealbox.com
Mon Jan 16 02:15:12 CST 2006

> Wouldn't what would happen is that the 'plugin' stuff is ignored and gets broken and only things that are used on MF worked on? That sounds like what this is for, to slowly jettison that which MF does not use.

That's ridiculous. The distinction between what is part of the core and what is not would have to be defined at a technical level, not at a 'political' one. If the anser to "can the game work without functionality X still work ?" is yes, then X isn't core. We can start nit-picking endlessly on the details of the definition of the core, but it changes nothing to the base idea.

So things like weather or python are not part of the core, because they "only" extend the game functionalities.

Note that splitting the code into plugins never meant that the content of those plugins would suddenly leave the codebase or be "left in the cold". Now, if you think that a functionality you feel important is put aside, then start supporting it - everybody is free to contribute to the Crossfire code.