[crossfire] Moving server towards a modularized system?

Yann Chachkoff yann.chachkoff at myrealbox.com
Mon Jan 16 15:23:05 CST 2006

> Try not to dismiss things solely because they disagree with your opinion.

I dismissed a flawed analogy, based on wrong technical assumptions. It is not an opinion point, but rather the rebuttal of an out-of-topic flambait.

> Modularizing the server would create a ton of
>problems,

Tons ? Name them, then, and we'll have something to debate.

> breakage,

Just as there is with *each* code change. Are you suggesting that we stop changing the code ?

> and solve nothing

As I (and others) argumented, it eases a couple of development issues. It could be a flawed view - but then, demonstrate it, and suggest other solutions.

Note that those points weren't based on air, but on significant experience in other projects, not on "taste" or other egocentric or sentimental feelings.

> and add even less: it is busy work. If you must be busy be busy on some new feature

Given that you are not a coder, you have no right to decide for me what I should work on (Note that I usually don't follow such a philosophy - but since you expressed the exact same reasoning not so long ago, I find it appropriate to provide the same kind of answer now).

>rather then scrapping the last 10 years of work (and that is what would happen if we seriously went on the modularizing war path).

Why ? I see a rant based on a pure sentimental feeling from somebody who has little knowledge of the Crossfire code, or of C coding in general. Provide technical arguments, and we'll have a serious discussion. If you cannot, then stop spamming the list.

Just as a side note, scrapping the whole code has never been the intend. Next time, try to understand the emails you read before flaming their content.

> Things you can help add:

Out-of-topic - we're discussing the pros/cons of modularization, not about your personal wishes about the code.