[crossfire] Re: Polymorph etc

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon Jan 23 00:20:51 CST 2006

Brendan Lally wrote:
> On 1/19/06, Anton Oussik <antonoussik at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I did not necessarily mean more powerful spells. Some existing spells
>> can get moved up the chain, and intermediate "interesting" spells can
>> be added to fill the gaps, so a player always has a new spell "just
>> within reach".  Either that, or spell could be made to not get more
>> powerful with level, and then players could learn more powerful
>> versions of a spell they already know, which would exist every 5-10
>> levels.
>
> The problem with that is that skills already scale with level,
> icestorm is one of the best cold spells at any level, because of how
> well its damage and range scale, so unless you want to nerf the
> scaling of all the low level spells, they are going to remain the best
> option, especially if the base level of the supposedly 'better' spells
> is increased, because then they will have fewer levels to scale over.

  Well, perhaps the scaling is too powerful then.  I'd make the case that
icestorm (a pretty low level spell) shouldn't be the best spell in the game.

  Other possiblity is to put caps on scaling, ala dungeons & dragons - ice storm
goes up in damage until skill level 20 or something, and then stops, where as
large ice storm scales up to level 50, etc.

  I really should do a dump so all this can be reasonably compared.