[crossfire] Moving server towards a modularized system?

Alex Schultz alex_sch at telus.net
Sat Jan 28 13:10:42 CST 2006

Yann Chachkoff wrote:

>>If someone want's to create a RPG engine   crossfire, in my opinion, is not the place to do it.
>>

>It is the exact place where to discuss about what we want to do with Crossfire, being maintaining it in its current state, expanding it or making it more generic. See the description of the list: "This list is used for general discussion and questions, answers, and latest changes and updates." This is general discussion around the game, so that discussion is perfectly in sync with that definition. If you don't like it, don't answer to it - simple as that.

I agree that the code structure could be improved, and some level of
modularization/separation of parts would be good if done with care.
However, personally I do not see any real value in expanding it to a
generic game engine. That said, I don't see any harm in that either, so
long as it is done carefully. IMHO, creating a generic game engine is
not a good goal for the project, however isn't necessarily a harmful as
a side affect of increased modularization. I feel that modularization
should be done (gradually and with care), to improve maintainability,
*not* to create a generic game engine, though that would not be harmful
to come as a side affect.

Alex Schultz