[crossfire] crossedit and the Java editor (was: renaming binaries (was: Moving server towards a modularized system?))

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sun Jan 29 16:21:52 CST 2006

  Crossedit still works to some degree.

  However, when new things are added, it does break and fixes are needed.
Anyone remember regions?

  Also, I haven't looked lately, but I'm not sure sure if crossedit actually
supports all needed features - is there an interface to map tiling information, etc.

  If crossedit was to be redone, this would briefly be my suggestions:

1) Use glade to do layout, so additional layout features are easy to add
in/layout.  This would make whipping up the basic interface pretty quickly.

2) Make this a separate program from the server (new CVS tree).  That said,
large portions of code could be grabbed from the server (load/save) and the
client (display).  Sure, having the editor be a separate program would mean that
that code may get out of date.  OTOH, at least on the server side, there is a
lot of code there that does things that the editor doesn't really need (and
there are about half a dozen editor checks in the common directory to handle
things we do or don't want to do if being used through the editor).

3) Do something like the java editor and have a file that does an object
type/special fields type of documentation, instead of it being hardcoded into
the program (eg, for exits, it is sp/hp which are the coordinates it leads to,
but the editor should present that as dest_x and dest_y)

  That said, all of this is a non trivial process.  If the java editor is not
good enough, and can't be made 'good enough' then this is perhaps something that
should be investigated.

  random map code:  It only requires the 'common' directory for the stand alone
random map generator.  Since the random map code is linked into the server, it
does not need/care about libcross.a.

  I don't know how often the standalone program is used, but if it was used
enough, I'd suggest that the server could be modified to take some command line
options (eg, crossfire -gen-random-map -random_map_options='....')