[crossfire] renaming binaries

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sun Jan 29 16:31:29 CST 2006

Brendan Lally wrote:
> On 1/29/06, Mark Wedel <mwedel at sonic.net> wrote:
>>> I would suggest the following mappings (for both binaries and package names)
>>> crossedit -> crossedit
>>   Arguably, crossedit should just disappear.  This, however, may become more or
>> less an issue depending on other changes (if a code restructuring means
>> significant rewrites needed for crossedit, I could see more reason to get rid of
>> it.  OTOH, if that major rewrite makes it cleaner, then maybe more compelling
>> reason to keep crossedit, or make a gtk replacement).
>
> The problem is that at the moment there is no real replacement for
> crossedit (CFJavaEditor doesn't work well enough, it doesn't even have
> undo support).

  This is perhaps a problem.  But then I think we need to figure out what our
editor story is.

  If it is that the java editor is the official editor, these bugs should be
reported and fixed up.  I do agree that the fact it is in java and not C
probably doesn't help things a great deal in terms of java competency of some of
the programmers (me included).

> The thing with this is that currently all distro packages are called
> crossfire-client or crossfire-client-gtk. If I am on a debian (or
> similar) system and install a program, I always try and run it using
> the name of the package, only if that fails do I bother to grep the
> filelist for bin/, sometimes if it is something I don't care about,
> then I ignore it and find something else to do the job instead.
>
> having the binary being tab-completable from the start of the package
> name is a good thing, especially when the .desktop files aren't
> installed properly.

  Have to admit, I've not looked at what other packages do in terms of program
names vs package names.

>>   Perhaps have a generic crossfire-client script that looks for the different
>> programs and tries to run the 'best' one available.
>
> I'd be interested to know how 'best' would be determined there.

  Probably basically in this order:
gcfclient (still most complete)
gtkv2-client (not complete, but still usable, and probably more
complete/featureful than)
cfclient - last resort really, and it doesn't provide much in the way of UI, and
I think is still limited in terms of graphics and map size.