[crossfire] race/class lacks distinctions

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sat Jul 1 12:57:01 CDT 2006

Wim Villerius wrote:

> Well, this certainly makes sense for magic skills. Restricting a warrior
> to lvl 25 magic skills doesn't hurt much - he wont use them often.
> On the other hand, restricting a mage to use at most lvl 25 one/two
> handed is a BIG pain and an unfair restriction.
> I have no clue how long ago you tried to kill certain powerfull
> monsters, but being a mage it is literally impossible to kill
> Lorkas/Gothwolthe/...
> Magic is fine for normal critter - even up to grand titans and cyclops -
> but it is simply _impossible_ to kill the bosses with that (granted,
> Lorkas can easily be killed with diseases, but Gothwolte cannot - he's
> an undead force)
> In summary: this proposal makes it impossible for a mage to do really
> interesting things for that requires weaponery at lvl 100+ (need a good
> wc)
> (note that this does not YET apply to charm monster)

  Some of this should probably be fixed by rebalancing of monsters.  While
perhaps difficult, pretty much every monster should be killable by spells.  Now
it may be hard, may take a while, etc, but should be doable.

  Some of this may be left over from what back before the partial resistance
code was put in - lots of creatures had immunity (100% resistance), and I don't
know if those were all fixed.

  But also, I don't think it should be expected or be a requirement that every
class can complete every dungeon in the game.  The number they can't do should
be pretty small, but to me, it is reasonable that some dungeons may have a
monster that can only be killed by spells, or only killed by melee, etc.

> It's just the opposite. You're always running out of mana way too fast
> and once all mana is used, you're an easy prey.
>  (And I'm not even talking about treasure that's usualy destroyed by
> magic.)

  OTOH, as a fighter, I often run out of HP pretty fast, and when your out of
HP, your dead :(

  There are ways around both problems to some extent.  Spell crystals can help
the SP a bit, power potions to regain, etc.

>> But a lot is also the speed of combat.  IMO, combat is often so fast that it
>> is difficult to have much strategy.
> Now that is indeed a big problem. Take for example Zorn (Brest
> scrollshops) He can kill any player in less than a second, no matter
> what the player does. (he is much faster and does 5 times more damage
> than Gothwolte, to put him in perspective) So it's inpossible to run
> away once he's angry.

  Even at lower levels, this is a big problem - if your caught in a bolt spell,
you need to get out of it pretty quickly or your dead.

  There is one problem which is the major difference in number of HP for players
or monsters.  This means other spells cast by players tend to be pretty deadly.

  Typically, monsters have lots of HP but are slow relative to players.  Things
probably need to be brought more in line - make most monsters faster than they
are now, make most players slower than they are now (at least in terms of number
of attacks - even first level characters probably have a 1+ weaponspeed), and
give players more HP to balance out those factors (I figure it is easier to give
players more HP than to reduce the damager by all the monsters & spells).