[crossfire] [Gridarta-devel] Gridarta as Webstart application

Christian Hujer cher at riedquat.de
Wed Jul 19 16:36:32 CDT 2006

Hi all,
Hi tchize,

Am Mittwoch, 19. Juli 2006 11:51 schrieb Tchize:
> Hi,
>
> I have quite a good amount of experience with webstart. One of the main
> drawback of webstart is that it comes from a web environment, that mean
> the running application will be in a sandbox, limiting it's
> possibilities. It can't access disk space, it can't store datas in user
> directory, it can't open network connection. Unless you explicitly put
> it as a trusted application, that mean you then need to sign it with a
> certificate, and such certificate cost money. You could use a selfsigned
> certificate, but then you remove all security, which is a problem in a
> web environment where you can't trust.
The experimental versions already are with self-signed certificates and
request all-permission.
I do not see any difference in trust between the completely unsigned Gridarta
downloaded from the web and Gridarta signed with a self-signed certificate.

Maybe I'd even invest these 30 EUR or whatsoever for a properly signed
certificate.

Cu :)
--
Christian Hujer