[crossfire] Server setup an Debian - newbie

Penbrock penbrock at penbrock.com
Sun Jul 23 13:57:53 CDT 2006

Yann Chachkoff wrote:
> You must be joking, I suppose ? Although Debian Sarge - the "stable" branch of the Debian distribution - is indeed out of date (which is somewhat logical), Debian testing and unstable both have Crossfire 1.9.1, which is the latest release of it.
>
> Answer to the initial question:
>
> The lack of plugins in the Debian package of Crossfire is documented as bug #379348, and has been solved by the package manager (just give it a couple of days for the new package to spread and become available in the repositories).
>
> Unless you are (1) using Debian Stable or (2) cannot wait a couple days more, you wouldn't need to worry about compiling stuff yourself.
>
> In case you really want to compile it yourself anyway, note that building the Python plugin will require the python-dev package to be installed before you use the configure script shipped with the Crossfire sources. To get the sources, you can do an "apt-get source crossfire-server", then cd into the directory created and do a "./configure; make; make install". I also suggest first removing the installed Debian package, to avoid clashes between both.

I can wait, I did find the the person who maintains the package when I
was asking in the IRC room and he said he would have it fixed. He also
told me about sending the reportbug.  I was thinking  that "plugins"
where extras . I sure am happy  to find out that  the debian package
will install everything. That is why I picked Debian for my first
venture in to Linux,  it sure makes it easy in add/update programs.

I do have one other issue now. I have one player I use just for DM. How
ever when I log him off the server crashes every time and I have to go
restart it. Is there an easy was to delete that one? I tried to just
quit the player but it does not delete it.