[crossfire] [Humour] Have fun moments with crossfire code

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon Jun 5 01:35:11 CDT 2006

tchize wrote:

> While writing some test i came accross this line of code in
> sum_weight() (object.c)
>
> if(op->carrying != sum)
>     op->carrying = sum;
>
> I suppose whoever wrote this had in mind that some memory chips are
> faster at ready data than writing them. I guess it make sense for very
> slow memory.

  Or more likely, it used to do something more which was removed, and the person
removing it wasn't paying much attention to what was left.

  Another oddity is that the banner copyright for all the files says this:

     CrossFire, A Multiplayer game for X-windows

  I just noticed that when updating a few copyright notices (don't read anything
into me doing that - I just noticed they were all out of date, and figured since
I was checking the file anyways, might as well update them).

  While such a comment may be somewhat appropriate for the client, on the server
side, that is pretty inaccurate, and has been for quite a while/